Facing challenges and seizing opportunities of Generative AI in Customer Services
GenAI is a crucial corporate asset that, to fully leverage its potential, necessitates awareness and expertise.
In an ever-innovative business landscape, the adoption of generative artificial intelligence (GenAI) poses a significant challenge and, simultaneously, an opportunity for transformation. But at this moment, we must also note that the potential of GenAI still requires foundational work, even from a user satisfaction standpoint.
In this article, we will explore the challenges associated with the use of generative AI for businesses and why its integration requests a strategic multidisciplinary approach by expert cross-teams to maximize its benefits.
Challenges in adopting Generative AI
Companies embracing generative AI often encounter various challenges, primarily linked to the need for a structured approach to integrate GenAI into business dynamics. This necessitates collaboration across different departments, such as Business, Digital Tech, Legal & Risk Compliance. Our client companies experimenting with GenAI acknowledge that generative AI requires both technical expertise and experience design to be fully leveraged. But let’s delve deeper into GenAI challenges:
- Controlling texts generated: clients testing solutions like ChatGPT often struggle with meticulously controlling the generated text, underscoring the importance of rigorous validation procedures and quality testing.
- Enhancing user experience integration: the integration of GenAI on enterprise platforms like Google, Microsoft, and Salesforce reveals that user experience integration is not yet fully realized. For example, despite advanced tools like Google's Duet on Google Doc to perform synthesis and proofreading, there are still some steps to be taken that make the use of these tools tedious and the utility not entirely clear.
- Ensuring proper management of knowledge bases: a key application of generative AI is acting as a powerful intermediary layer between users and extensive company knowledge bases. The challenge lies in ensuring accuracy, timely updates, and effective structuring of knowledge bases. This step is crucial for providing correct and contextually relevant responses to business settings and customer expectations.
- Privacy and security considerations: accessing company knowledge bases through AI raises new privacy and security issues. Implementing protective measures for sensitive data and ensuring restricted access is essential to prevent inappropriate disclosure of confidential information.
So a multidisciplinary approach for specific use cases can often be the best solution. Some of our clients have involved experts in UX, Knowledge Engineering, Business Design, and AI specialists to tailor use cases to their needs. A tangible example is an insurance company using Open AI to develop a chatbot for efficient lead collection and qualification.
Opportunities of leveraging GenAI
The power of a new technology like AI in our times is represented also by the potential to spawn entirely new business models in certain sectors. The fact that The New York Times is restricting the use of Open AI suggests that they might be gearing up for a data exchange model for payment. It illustrates that there are industries, such as the media sector, where even business models can be fundamentally transformed by the introduction of GenAI. It doesn't necessarily have to be detrimental if we find a way to regulate it.
GenAI also allows simplified access to information. It can act as a powerful intermediary layer between users (whether internal or external to the company) and extensive corporate knowledge bases.
How we integrate GenAI into our customer services
As a Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) service provider, we leverage generative AI to enhance the productivity and quality of tasks performed by our agents in these main activities:
- Translation of emails, conversation transcripts, etc., from various languages to English.
- Support for synthesizing an email thread or chat to automatically classify tickets in CRM.
- Spelling and grammatical correction of textual content: response to an email, chat, etc.
- Automatic generation of an email in response to a request for information or a customer complaint.
Customer services can be the engine for business growth and we leverage our two decades of experience in AI to provide advanced AI solutions to our global clients. We develop Generative conversational IVR and Chatbots, integrated with LLMs (Large Language Models), to empower our agents and enhance all interactions between brand and customers while reducing costs and elevating customer satisfaction.
GenAI doesn't win alone
While AI is becoming more accessible it’s not magic, it still requires specific and multidisciplinary expertise. Collaborating with external specialists can expedite results. Attention to user experience remains crucial, and generative AI can be a driving force for innovative business models. The key is to carefully regulate implementation to maximize benefits, demonstrating that this technology can be a valuable ally in the future of digital businesses.